Monday, July 16, 2007

It was done on the cross!

Hello everyone. We hope that this is a little bit better with no keeping you all waiting so long. Yesterday Jess and I had the chance to visit a village to be with a local pastor. He invited us to his house and gave us a papaya even though they had no other food. It was amazing and we had the opportunity to buy them food to last them a month. We actually got to be the hands of Jesus and provide for a family who has nothing. They were so blessed by this. We are both learning so much about loving people. Jesus is amazing. Jessica is growing so much. She is beginning to get visions and words and dreams. Jesus in her is exploding! It is so much fun to watch. We are growing deeper into the things of Christ and growing deeper together here. We truly are at home here as well as in Oregon. We can’t wait to see all of you. I, Josh, am also learning the language like a madman. I am holding full conversations with the locals and having no problem being by myself on the street. Jesus is so good. I want to share with all of you a little bit of what Jesus did this week in me. Jessica will share later with all of you.

A couple of days ago my house group did a presentation interpreting a parable from the underside. This means that we needed to see it through the eyes of someone on the margins of society. We had a very powerful presentation that I had the opportunity to write. I was then asked to write another longer presentation and narrate it as well. It was a true story from one of the guest speakers who has an amazing story to tell. This particular story was about a young 16 year old girl in India who, to make a long story, was raped by her husbands friends and then hung by her husband. The rope didn’t hold her and she came crashing down, hit her head and became insane. She was tortured many times and many times people in her own village tried to kill her. The speaker, Shampa Rice, ended up caring for her after they had poisoned her many times. No doctor thought she would make it because of the high level of arsenic in her system. All in all, she was healed of everything, including her mind being lost. After she got well she told Shampa that she wanted to go back to her village and be with her husband. In the process of her healing, she forgave her husband and the village and the village became radically saved because of what happened. I didn’t have much time to process this during the writing but Jesus allowed me to process this after we performed. I was broken and began sobbing right there in the tent with everyone around. I was asking Jesus, “How can I forgive those who hurt other people so badly?” Jesus then spoke very clearly to me, “You love me and I will teach you how to love them.” I then heard from Jesus again, “If you can love those who hurt you, you will be able to love those who hurt others. Look at the Cross.” This has begun a change in me like never before. The Cross is the key. Jesus was able to forgive those who hung him on the cross. All I have to do is see the cross; see the work done on the cross out of Love. The Cross has to be the model for loving others because it takes us face to face with what Jesus did and who he did it for and why he did it. We can’t hide behind our preferences; we can’t make the choice not to love because we are offended or have a grudge. We simply have to see the Cross. I believe this is the beginning of what God has in store for Jessica and I; to see people as Christ saw them on the Cross; worth dying for. It’s about seeing them not as a target but as people worth helping, touching, loving, without any expectation. Imagine what the church would look like if this was our focus; to love everyone without the expectation of them coming to Jesus; to still love and care for them if even on their death bed they don’t accept Jesus. If we can love even then, we will see so many people changed for the Gospel. Pray about this and I promise Jesus will meet you on either side of the spectrum (you may totally disagree, just seek Jesus). I love you all.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Amen,
It was done, Father thank you for Josh and Jess and the teachers they are becoming Lord.

Hey Guys we miss you and love you. I think I check your page and Heath and Emies page to see if there is any new news,We continue to pray for you and your ministry...Be encouraged and know that you are loved.

Andrea

Anonymous said...

Hey Kiddos'
Dad & Jody Here...

Happy anniversary! Looks like you guys are doing great work...Are you ready for a great vacation on Cycle O? Went on peters Tour de France ride yesterday...Had one of those days...Dropped my er your water bottle on 43, it got run over by a car...3000 ft of elevation..got tired..started up wisteria had to go to the small ring...It fell off...Kept looking down at it dangling...ran into the pucker bushes and fell down...YIKES! anyways no serious injury just to my pride...Survived it...Planning a camping trip on your return to oregon would like to do promontory park as we talked...We'll take the bikes and ride to Estacada each day great warm up for cycle O...Harley is doing great is missing you both...as are we...You look great in the picture...When are you returning? JUst want to make reservations for the camping trip!

Love; Dad & Jody

Anonymous said...

Awesome pic, Jess you are simply beautiful!!!

Anonymous said...

Hi Guys, Happy Late Anniversary, Oh we miss you guys so much although its awesome to see the pics of you, you both look amazingly happy and alive. I wanted to let you know mom has her first hip surgery tomorrow, so be praying if you get this, more later... Love you guys, Andrea

Anonymous said...

Moms surgery went great she is actually in less pain than before, praise the Lord,

Andrea

Anonymous said...

hey guys,

I had a dream that you returned. It was amazing to "see" you again, but when am I actually going to get to? I forgot when you're gettin back here...

Anonymous said...

Hey you two,
Well Your adventure is almost over...well it's just beginning actually. So I was writing to see when you two will be back in the States? I'm speaking at a church this weekend up in Yakima, then I'll be celabrating my birthday (without you two :0( This year )back home. Wow I can't believe that for the past two years I hung out with you guys for my Bday. Well anyways we miss you...and hope for safe travels on your way back home.
Be blessed in Christ
Eddie

Andrea said...

Okay people when are we getting an update! We miss you guys and want to know whats up.

Anonymous said...

Hey Guys!

Dad and Jody here...

Need an update...How are things going?...Love you both...What day are you returning...I want to reserve a camping spot...For everybody on your return...Keep up the good fight...We're proud of you guys!...Jess has your relatives made reservations for their rig on cycle O? they probably need to if they haven;t alreadY...Josh drop us an email with updates...


Love Dad and Jody

My two Babies!

My two Babies!
Starbucks Date